My kids get paper savings bonds from family members for holidays/birthdays/etc. Right now I do nothing with them besides putting them in a fire proof lock box but that can't be the best thing to do. What should I do with paper savings bonds?

  • Side note - read the rules on cashing in those EE bonds. I remember I couldn't cash in a majority of mine to pay for college but instead needed to do a regular sell. There's all kinds of rules regarding whose names can be on them, how long held, etc. I just cashed most of mine when I was po'. – Aaron D. Marasco Jan 22 '12 at 0:53

The US Treasury has a way of converting paper bonds to electronic bonds: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/smartexchangeinfo.htm

SmartExchange allows TreasuryDirect account owners to convert their Series E, EE and I Bonds to electronic securities in a special Conversion Linked Account within their online account. With a TreasuryDirect account, you enjoy all the benefits of having online 24-hour access to manage your holdings, without having to keep track of paper securities.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.