I own a small second residence where my disabled son lives. He is unable to pay any rent and probably never will. For income tax purposes, can I depreciate the house, deduct property taxes and anything else? I also pay for all utilities; are these deductible?


Yes. This would be considered your secondary residence and you can deduct mortgage expense and property taxes. Since you don't draw income from the property, it would not be advisable to treat it as investment property where you can deduct other maintenance expenses and depreciate the house.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.