I am a single individual now, so I'd be receiving $100 in June. But, I'm expecting in July (will be a single mother.) Will a change in the rebate amount come for December and so on? Would I be receiving $335 then?


Good question!

Fortunately, the Ontario Ministry of Revenue has a Frequently Asked Question that covers your case. Refer to their FAQ: What criteria will be used to determine who is eligible for the OSTTB?. Excerpt:

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will use the information you (and your spouse or common-law partner) provide on your income tax return(s) (or statement of world income, if applicable) and your (and your spouse or common-law partner's) Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) information, if applicable, to determine your eligibility for the OSTTB.

Report to CRA any changes to your status (e.g., births, death, marriage, separation) that happen after filing your tax return. [emphasis mine]

Eligibility for each of the three OSTTB payments will be determined independently on the specified dates below:

  • For the June 10, 2010 payment – CRA will look at your information as of May 31, 2010.
  • For the December 2010 payment – CRA will look at your information as of November 30, 2010.
  • For the June 2011 payment – CRA will look at your information as of May 31, 2011.


So, the answer is yes, you will qualify for the higher rebate once you become a parent. But, make sure you contact the Canada Revenue Agency and report your change in status, otherwise they might not know that you have had a child and may maintain your next transition cheque at the single individual level.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy