I recently was married in April 2010. I received my HST rebate of $100 as a single individual, and my husband didn't receive any. As a couple we would qualify for the $330. Can I change to the married status or is it based on last year's income tax??

1 Answer 1


To receive the higher benefit based on your new status, you'll need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency and inform them of the change, since they are still assuming you are not married based on your last year's tax return.

Refer to this question at the Ministry of Revenue's FAQ. Quote:

What criteria will be used to determine who is eligible for the OSTTB?

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will use the information you (and your spouse or common-law partner) provide on your income tax return(s) (or statement of world income, if applicable) and your (and your spouse or common-law partner's) Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) information, if applicable, to determine your eligibility for the OSTTB.

Report to CRA any changes to your status (e.g., births, death, marriage, separation) that happen after filing your tax return.


Refer also to this other FAQ at the Ministry of Revenue. Quote:

What happens if my marital status changes during the year, in 2010 or 2011?

Your OSTTB payment amounts may change if your marital status changes during the year in 2010, or on or before May 31, 2011. People who marry, enter a common-law partnership, separate, divorce or become widowed should complete form RC65, Marital Status Change, or inform CRA of their new status and the date of the change in a letter. Both spouses (common-law partners) should sign the form or letter. Send the completed form or letter to the CRA tax centre in your area.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy