I am trying to figure out the Capital Gain taxes on a property in Toronto. I am very new to this, so sorry if I say something weird.

I live in a condo, which I own, and I am thinking of renting it.

I have lived here for the past three years, and it is the only property that I own(it was fully transferred to me as a gift), so it is my principle residence at this moment.

From what I understand, If I were to sell this property now, I will not have to pay any capital income taxes, as principle residence is not taxed. source 1

Also, from what I understand, as soon as I begin renting the condo, it will loose its status as a principle residency, and I will have to pay 1/2 of the price increase in each year that it is a rental property.

However, here, I see that it is possible to still keep its status of principle residency for up to 4 years, thus not paying any capital gains for those 4 years, as long as one is a resident of Canada and they do not deem their other property as their principal residency.

Now, I am not a permanent resident or a citizen, I am a student, on a student visa and a study permit. Will I be able to keep the property's status of principle residence, thus not owing any capital gain taxes upon selling it, if I go back to living in this property in 4 years?

Note: I am likely to receive a permanent resident status during those 4 years through a common law partner sponsorship. Will this somehow affect the taxes?

Also: I will be living in my girlfriend's apartment in those 4 years, and I do not own any parts of it.

Thank you for your help! Sorry for a terribly long post, first time posting on StackExchange.

  • Taxes for which country?
    – A.K.
    Jul 26, 2018 at 3:22
  • Canada. I guess the real question really is whether what they mean by a resident on their website equals to what is meant by a permanent resident immigration-wise.
    – V. B
    Jul 26, 2018 at 4:05
  • I believe you would be considered a resident for tax purposes. Tax residency is only loosely related to immigration residency. But you can phone CRA and ask them. Jul 29, 2018 at 21:28

1 Answer 1


Hire an accountant.

Tax rules are personal.

Tax rules regarding large transactions could have tremendous implications if you aren't every single aspect of the rules properly.

Tax on large transctions + DIY = foolishness.

If you don't have the time, that's fine, have your manager hire one.

If you can't afford an accountant or a manager, then it's a bit of a foolish move to buy a condo in the first place, and to consider selling.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.