I am going to give my income tax return (Einkommensteuererklärung) in Germany for the first time. I don't want to pay that crazy money for a tax consultant just to tell me whether I have filled it in correctly or not and pay over 200 € for that 10 minutes.
I don't speak very well German but can understand when reading quite good. I have an Elsteronline account and I have started filling in the form already. I was quite surprised when I found out that there is only very little mandatory fields (mostly only name and address).
I want to ask these questions:
- are there some tricky fields (lines) that after filling in my taxes will be counted higher?
- are there some tricky fields (lines) that after filling in my taxes could be counted lower?
- are there some flat-rates (Pauschals) that I could get advantage from?
- is it better to give a tax return together with my wife (who was only a girlfriend in 2013 living with me in one household) or to give it separately?
- when separately, do I have to fill her information in my tax return or can I just pretend there is nobody else in my apartment?
- is there any guide in English that could be of help with filling in the tax return form?