If I make a capital gain from the sale of a house but make capital losses from the sale of stocks in my brokerage account (not tax sheltered), then can I use the losses against the gains to reduce my tax?

Can I also carry forward losses/gains backward/forward even if gains came from sale of property and losses came from sale of stocks?

1 Answer 1


Capital losses from the sale of stocks can be used to offset capital gains from the sale of a house, assuming that house was a rental property the whole time. If it was your principal residence, the capital gains are not taxed. If you used it as both a rental and a principal residence, then it gets more complicated: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/127/rsdnc/menu-eng.html

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.