As a resident of California, if I get a K-1 from Connecticut, do I have to pay income taxes on this income for my California return?

Using Turbo Tax, the answer seems to be no, since there was no California K-1, but I want to make sure I have not entered something wrong because I was expecting it to be taxed with a credit for any Connecticut taxes paid on this income.


California taxes worldwide income of its residents. So it doesn't matter if your K-1 is from California or from Connecticut if you're a California resident. Your expectation seems to be correct. State taxes are often the weak point for these programs, especially California which has quite complicated tax laws.

If in doubt - get a CA licensed tax preparer (CRTP), CPA or EA to help you with your tax return. Tax preparers in California must be licensed by the State unless they hold a EA license from the IRS.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.