I am a total tax newbie that has relied on turbotax for the past couple of years I have had to pay taxes, but now I have a situation that isn't covered by turbotax.

I am/was a resident of Oregon. I live in Idaho and have gone to school there, and I worked my summer internship in California.

I have zero income from Oregon, scholarships from Idaho, and job income from California. I intend to return to California in May.

The forms are somewhat straightforward, but I don't know which state forms to fill out. I have no one to talk to about this. Everyone I know uses turbotax.

Do I not report California income on my Idaho return and not report Idaho scholarships on my Californian return? I am assuming I don't file an Oregon return. The federal return I can use turbo tax for still.

  • 2
    What happens when you follow the interview of Turbo Tax? You'll have to buy the state modules, but then doesn't it sort it all out for you? – littleadv Mar 29 '13 at 5:23
  • yeah I wanted to avoid buying them if possible – SwimBikeRun Mar 30 '13 at 23:24

There's a very simple way to answer this, even before you start TurboTax:

  1. Go to each State's tax authority website (for example, California's is here)
  2. Look for a section that answers the question "Do I need to file?" (for example, California's is here)
  3. Read the information there and decide whether or not you have to file for that particular state.

As far as I know, most states have separate instructions for residents, non-residents, and part-year residents.

Yes, it is possible that you may end up filing in quite a few states.

I would do this before you buy the state modules in TurboTax because it may not be worth paying for them if you don't need to file.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Thanks. Turns out I don't have to file for Idaho or Oregon WOW is it really you Joel!! :) :) – SwimBikeRun Mar 30 '13 at 23:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.