This might be a strange notion but people donate to charity because they... want to donate to charity. That's it. Now, if you are going to donate to charity, donating an appreciated stock may be more tax-efficient than selling it and then donating the proceeds.


I think this question is very nearly off-topic for this site, but I also believe that a basic understanding of the why the tax structure is what it is can help someone new to investing to understand their actual tax liability. The attempt at an answer I provide below is from a Canadian & US context, but should be similar to how this is viewed elsewhere ...


Yes, you'll be taxed. If no exchange can calculate your basis, they'll simply report to the IRS that you sold crypto and received $2000. The IRS will assume that your basis was $0 and that the whole $2000 was taxable. When you file taxes, you'll document that your basis was $1000 and that only the $1000 gain was taxable.


The first important principle to remember when it comes to taxes is this: Taxable events are taxable whether or not anything is reported to the IRS by someone else. You are legally required to report and pay tax on your taxable activities, even if the IRS doesn’t yet know about them. Taxes are sort of on the “honor system,” until you get audited. So let’s ...


It sounds like you're describing tax gain harvesting, where you intentionally realize capital gains in a low-tax-rate period in order to increase your cost basis and reduce future capital gains at higher rates.


Buying another asset makes no difference, you still owe capital gains tax on the sale. What cash should you use? If you didn't have other cash to pay the taxes you should have kept some of the cash from the sale to pay taxes and not reinvested it all.


In the U.S., gains from cryptocurrency trading are taxed just like trading stocks: as capital gains. Capital gains are only taxed when they are realized. At this time, you have realized a $40,000 gain, but you have not realized a loss. If you do not sell your new position before the end of the year, you will be taxed on the $40,000 gain. (Note: your gain is $...


No, it is not correct. You bought those 909 shares for $90,900. You sold them for $99,990. Your capital gain is $9,090 Or you could calculate the cap gain by multiplying the share price increase by the number of shares sold: 909 * $10 = + $9,090


At the time of the sale, you can designate what shares you want sold. The IRS requires that your broker verifies that those specific shares were sold. The IRS calls this "specific share identification." Without that confirmation, the IRS will default to FIFO (First In, First Out).


In this case you should consult an actual tax professional since that can be rather complicated. In general Tax treatment depends on whether (and how long) you did own actual stock at any point or if your options were directly converted to cash in a "same day sale". Assuming it's a "Same day sale" then the profit (sell price - exercise price) is taxable ...


US centric answer: An all-cash deal is a sale so there is no way to avoid taxes when there's a cash buy out of a position in a non-sheltered account.


The only way this could work is if you convince your broker that there was a malfunction in their site/app and they agree to adjust their records as if you had not sold the stock. If you have a good case, they might be more likely to agree to this since the trade was immediately reversed, so what you're asking for wouldn't cost them much (compared to someone ...


There are some issues with this plan: you have to trust they will do what you want with the money. you have to hope that they won't need it. you hope that the presence of this investment fund doesn't impact their ability to get Medicaid coverage for their long term care needs. they have to die first. you have to trust that their end of life documents don't ...


The IRS has a site about virtual currency, including Frequently Asked Questions. In general, a gain that you make buying and then selling cryptocurrency is subject to capital gains tax. There is no minimum amount of gain that you need before you have to pay tax, but the capital gains tax rate is based on how long you held the asset before you sold it (more ...


Some thoughts: There's a limit to how much you can put in a tax-advantaged account. Even with mega back-door and other ways to move money around, there's still limits into how much you can contribute There are income limits that reduce or even prevent your ability to use some tax-advantaged accounts Retirement accounts are designed for retirement. If you ...


(Assuming US based on profile) Welcome to the world of income taxation. Your $1,000 in short-term gains will be treated as "normal income" and subject to your marginal tax rate. So there is fundamentally no difference in this and "I just got a $1,000 bonus - how can I reduce the tax on that income". The answers would be the same: Do something to increase ...


The property must be your primary residence and you must have occupied it for 2 of the last 5 years and make no more than $250,000 in gains if you're single or $500,000 if file joint tax returns with a spouse. There are exceptions, for instance for members of the armed forces. Official IRS document regarding this subject: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc701 ...


You need to meet a woman (or man if you are in a state that allows same sex marriage) who has a carried forward loss or other loss that exceeds the $3K/yr they can take against their own income. If they had a loss of $200K some time ago, and are taking $3K/yr, they may still have $100K they can offset with you. Marriages have been based on less than this.


Assuming that you had no gains in year ONE when you realized $50k in losses, you would deduct $3k on your taxes and have a carry forward loss of $47k. In year TWO you realized $50k in capital gains. The $47k would be neutralized and you would pay taxes on $3k in year TWO.


It seems to me you are thinking of the 1031 Exchange which offers deferral of the gain if the proceeds are all invested in the next property. This is for (rental) real estate, not stocks. A similar rule applied to one's home, but that law is long gone, and instead there is an exemption under certain conditions.


No - stocks are bought and sold in shares, not dollar amounts, so the 5 shares you sold would have a cost basis of $50 and a sold value of $100 for a capital gain of $50.


You didn't mention what the asset was. For non sheltered securities, their sale is a tax event whether it's a realized gain or loss regardless of what the holding period was or what you subsequently did with the money. If the asset was say a property, the tax status would depend on the amount of the gain and whether it was your home or an investment property....


Yes, you pay capital gains tax on ETF holdings just like mutual find holdings, but you are not "double taxed". Say you buy a fund at the beginning of the year and sell it at the end of the year. Say also that the NAV (the value of all of its holdings, less expenses) of the fund goes up by $5 per unit over the year, and realizes and distributes $1 ...


You cannot get "your investment" out and "leave only the capital gains" until they become taxable at the long-term rate. When you sell some shares after holding them for less than a year, you have capital gains on which you will have to pay taxes at the short-term capital gains rate (that is, at the same rate as ordinary income). As an example, if you ...


If the numbers are somewhat near correct, I think this would justify spending some money on good accounting advice. In the general sense you will have to claim any profit as income from the sale of an asset. Costs can be deducted from proceeds to arrive at the profit figure, and a good accountant will point out which costs are allowed and which are not. ...


Assuming your investments aren't in any kind of tax-advantaged account (like an IRA), they are generally not tracked and you indeed may pay more taxes. What will likely change, however, is your cost basis. You only pay tax on the difference between the value of the investment when you sell it and its value when you bought it. There is no rule that says ...


You don't generally pay capital gains taxes until you sell the stock. If you bought it in 2013 and the price goes up in 2014 but you just hold on to the stock, you won't have to pay any taxes on it. If you then sold it in 2015 for a profit, you'd have to pay capital gains taxes on the profit. Note that this excludes dividends. Dividends may complicate the ...


The capital gain distribution reflects what positions were sold. The value of the fund represents the assets that the fund still holds. The two may be very different. Imagine I have the world's simplest mutual fund. I start off the year with $1 million in cash and there are 10,000 shares so each share is worth $100. On Jan 1, I buy $800,000 worth of ...


In addition to other answers: this might be a good year to change your 401k, IRA and HSA contributions to IRS-allowed maximum. To make sure that some part your income goes into tax-protected accounts.


It doesn't matter what kind of income you owe taxes for (capital gains, wages, or whatever), the rules for the underpayment penalty are the same. There are two safe harbor levels: 90% of this year's tax liability, or 100% (110% for those with AGI above $150k) of last year's tax liability. If your withholding (from paycheck) by itself reaches either of the ...

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible