I have stayed in the US (NY) from Feb 25 2016 to April 1 2017.

  • I have fully paid the taxes for 2016 and filed the paperwork.
  • For 2017, the taxes have been deducted from my salary. I need to file the paperwork (asked for an extension)

My question is, how my taxes are going to be calculated for 2017?

PS: I am neither US citizen nor Green Card holder.

  • 1
    What status are you in? – void_ptr Sep 3 '18 at 23:43
  • I am living in EU now and do not have any relationships with US. – teucer Sep 4 '18 at 0:48
  • 1
    I meant to ask, which status you were in the US when you received your US income? This affects whether you were a resident or a non-resident alien. Some statuses are exempt from tax residency. Also, if you were a dual-status alien in 2016 and you're married and your spouse was with you, you can choose to be treated as a resident alien for the entire 2016, which would reduce your tax liability. The year you left, you're probably a dual status resident, but again this depends on which status you were in. – void_ptr Sep 4 '18 at 2:58
  • I was on L-1 visa – teucer Sep 4 '18 at 8:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.