So, I registered a LLC but I am the only member in this LLC. If I do business under this LLC, when I file tax, I think I should NOT choose "Individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC" category, right?

Instead, I think I should choose "Limited liability company - Disregarded Entity". Does this make sense? Is this the correct category?

Thanks a million!

  • 1
    What a weird set of categories. Did the IRS issue this, or is this some stupid third party tax software/service? . A single member LLC is the same thing as an LLC with one member. Presuming the LLC does not elect S-corp tax treatment -- a sole proprietor, SMLLC and ”disregarded entity” are again the same thing as far as tax treatment! Commented Aug 31, 2018 at 23:55
  • @Harper Thank you for the response. I think single-member LLC in the first case is the individual doing business without registering the LLC but will be treated as a LLC with single member in terms of filing tax. Not sure If that's the reason...
    – zs2020
    Commented Sep 1, 2018 at 10:54
  • 2
    Nah, if he hasn't registered the LLC then he's a sole proprietor. Is this an IRS document? Can you link it? Commented Sep 1, 2018 at 15:23
  • If you haven't registered, it's not an LLC.
    – Kevin
    Commented Sep 1, 2018 at 20:10

1 Answer 1


I suspect that:

  • "Individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC" -- Applies to a single-member LLC with pass-through taxation (i.e., you haven't elected to be taxed as a corporation)
  • "Limited liability company - Disregarded Entity" -- Applies to a multi-member LLC that is taxed as a partnership (this is also pass-through taxation but is more complicated since the partnership needs to file its own tax return)

You should choose the first one.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .