I received a wire transfer from Europe a while ago. The money was sent as EUR and converted into USD by HSBC. Since the incoming transaction showed an amount that was around 3% less than expected, I decided to investigate the conversion rate and fees applied by HSBC.
I tried to:
- Go to a local HSBC branch near my office.
- Use BankMail through their online service on their website
- Call HSBC general customer service
- Call HSBC Central Funds Transfer Department
- Call HSBC Foreign Exchange Wire Investigation
- Go to the branch were I opened the account to speak with the branch Manager
After months I still haven't been able to determine the following:
- What conversion rate was applied
- The fees amount that were applied to my incoming international wire
- Why I cannot find any fee transaction listed in any of my accounts
- If and why the fees where automatically detracted from my incoming wire
What can I do to obtain the information that I need?
Where and how can I actually complain about such a terrible and non transparent service?