My mother has several special bequests to grandchildren in her will. She would like to gift that money to them before her death and get signed statements from them saying they received it. Is that adequate to avoid paying the bequests a second time at her death?

  • 2
    One would think a little thinking would tell you that is specific to the laws of your unmentioned country. Hint: Tag your question with country. And understand this is not a place for legal advice. – TomTom Jul 15 '18 at 15:11
  • 2
    Why not just change the will? – Brythan Jul 15 '18 at 16:48
  • A family lawyer tends to be a reliable source on how to achieve this. – Bob Baerker Jul 15 '18 at 16:55
  • Right, the mistake here is thinking it’s better to avoid the lawyer. – JTP - Apologise to Monica Jul 15 '18 at 17:11

Instead of adding such a layer of complexity, it seems a good time to update the will.

The gifts should be made and any reference to them removed from the will. Why risk having add-on documents that may not properly be kept along with the will?

In the US, gifts up to $15K don’t even need paperwork for tax purposes. Over that amount, a Form 709 must be filed.

(We are still needing a country tag update which may change or completely render my answer useless)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.