I need to do 5k worth of home improvement in the form of replacing an A/C and a furnace. The property is a rental and I'm probably going to break even this year.

On the other hand, I have another business LLC that has done quite well. Because the business LLC is a pass-through, I'm hoping to deduct the home improvements from taxable income, because all the money boils down to me at the end of the year.

Is there a legal way to do this while being able to reap the tax benefits?


  • House: Needs 5k & doesn't have it.
  • Business: Has surplus & is going to get over taxed.
  • Me: Wanting to take 5k from the business and give it to the house, deducting the property updates from my taxable income.
  • 1
    Is your current AGI low enough that losses from the rental are allowed? For couples MFJ, the phaseout is from $100K to $150K. Above $150K, all losses are carried forward. Jul 11, 2018 at 17:30
  • @JoeTaxpayer Good question, I hadn't thought of that. I'm single and my AGI will hopefully be < 50k as I'm putting 50-100k back into the business that is doing well.
    – Jacksonkr
    Jul 11, 2018 at 18:50
  • @Grade'Eh'Bacon - didn’t new US code enact full first year write-off? Jul 11, 2018 at 19:35
  • @JoeTaxpayer I was not aware of this - it seems my US tax knowledge is approaching full obsolescence, so I should probably keep my nose out of it from now on! Jul 11, 2018 at 19:37
  • Join the club! A lot of changes to sift through. Jul 11, 2018 at 20:07

1 Answer 1


My understanding is that the new tax code will permit full expensing. No need to write off a purchase such as heating system, roof, carpet, etc, over its useful life. The other business really has nothing to do with this. The real estate loss, up to $25K/yr for the non professional, is deducted against your other income.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.