This is US based. I have renters insurance and the coverage overview is as follows:

  • Personal Property
  • Loss of Use
  • Personal Liability
  • Medical.

I have read my policy, but I do not believe the following is covered:

My appliance failed. This resulted in damage to the flooring of the apartment.

What part of renters insurance, if any, would apply? What wording should I look for?

I have found theft, and medical, but nothing for my property damaging the unit.

  • 2
    If your landlord finds you personally liable for the repair costs, presumably "personal liability" would apply, but ... IANAL. – CactusCake Jul 10 '18 at 16:53
  • 4
    Liability usually covers accidental damage to landlord / other tenants' property caused by you or your property, so that's where I'd expect to find coverage for the damaged floor. Loss of use is basically you being unable to use your apartment and personal property covers replacing your stuff that's damaged / stolen in a "covered loss" (see your insurance for details, typically stuff like theft/fire/vandalism). – JBC Jul 10 '18 at 17:14
  • 2
    Is it YOUR appliance, or is it an appliance that your landlord provided? – quid Jul 10 '18 at 17:19
  • Also you may have gross neglect. How can a failed appliance damage the flooring? Washing machine? Should be on a floor that can handle it. Did your toaster start burning or something else that could not be expected? – TomTom Jul 10 '18 at 17:31
  • @TomTom Some kitchens have hardwood floors, so if a refrigerator or dishwasher fails it could damage the floors. – Thegs Jul 10 '18 at 20:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.