I was just reading that (in the UK) you can only pay into one of your owned ISAs per year.

I have a Help To Buy ISA and a separate Stocks & Shares ISA. I pay the maximum contribution of £200 into my Help To Buy ISA each month.

Given these rolling payments, when can I pay into my other ISA? And by extension, a new ISA?


You can only pay into one ISA of the same type in a (tax) year. Otherwise it's fairly flexible on how you divide your contribution, keeping to the overall limit (£20 000 in 2018-19).

There is no bar making contributions to a Help to Buy and Stocks and Shares ISA in one year. It is, however, treated as a cash ISA, so you can't have another one of those.


The help to buy ISA is also unusual in that: you can have only one of them, you have to drop feed money into it monthly, and it persists from year to year.

  • Right, that makes sense. Just to clarify, are you saying that I can only ever have 1 instance of a specific ISA ever? E.g.: I can't open a cash ISA this year and then a new one next year and then another one the following year etc...? (ignoring ISA wrappers) – turnip Jun 19 '18 at 11:22
  • @Petar No, it's normally by tax year but the Help to Buy ISA is the odd one out. You can pay the full £20 000 into a stocks and shares ISA on the last day of the tax year, and £20 000 the next into another stocks and shares ISA with a different provider. Obviously you'ld want to be very careful with deadlines if you were rash enough to attempt this. – richardb Jun 19 '18 at 22:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.