Where am I allowed to invest my money in the US considering that I am non-resident alien (I have a F1 visa)?

I noticed that most of the brokerage or investment platforms online do not allow people with this status to open accounts. Is there any way to invest money in US?

  • I don't think any bank I opened an account with ever asked for my status.... – xyious Jun 12 '18 at 16:55
  • Yes, you can open bank accounts with most banks. What about brokerage accounts? The ones I checked do not allow me to open an account... – sbozzolo Jun 12 '18 at 18:07
  • Where did you notice that? I'm on F1 too and have all sorts of accounts, incl. broker accounts. – divB Dec 12 '18 at 21:43
  • Are you Non-Resident Alien? – sbozzolo Dec 13 '18 at 0:25

You may need to open a brokerage account using an address in the country where you are resident. Many of the online brokerages accept international accounts, but they may be selective about which countries they serve. You will not likely find a broker willing to register you as an international client using a US address.

I'm not really sure how your F1 visa plays into this, however.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.