When applying for an ITIN I’m sending a passport w-7 form and a 1040 form but in the 1040 form in the income section 7 they tell me to attach a w-2 form but I’m not a us citizen so I don’t have either an SSN nor an ITIN/EIN so how I’m I suppose to fill out a w-2 form? What do I do, do I just leave it blank? Thanks.

  • If you are not eligible for SSN, you are not eligible for employment in the US - hence you have no W-2 form. If this is a joint return, and your spouse is employed, then he/she would attach his/her W-2. – void_ptr May 9 '18 at 15:24

The W-2 form is not something you fill out yourself. You are given a W-2 by your employer, and this form shows how much you were paid and how much tax was withheld from your paycheck. You include a copy of your W-2 with your tax return as “proof” that you have already paid some tax.

If you haven’t yet been an employee of a U.S. company with tax withheld from your paycheck and you haven’t received a W-2 from an employer, then you don’t need to include one with your tax return.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.