I am a U.S citizen. My parents who are not U.S. citizens have an offshore foreign company. If they send me a cash gift through their corporation:

  1. Do I pay tax?
  2. What is the max amount I can receive before I file form 3520?


  • Hopefully this has not already happened - if so, I think you're fucked. Best is just to send it back as if an accident.
    – Fattie
    May 8 '18 at 22:11

I'm fairly sure a "corporation" can't send you a gift:

there is no such concept.

(The fact that "your parents" are principals in the corporation means nothing.)

Consider, I do a lot of jobs for Company X, one of my bigger clients. (No, really - they're called "Company X"! :) )

Say they wired me 50 grand from their bank account.

And then they said - "Oh. That was a gift."

It's totally nonsensical. It would just be a payment I'd pay tax on.

  • This doesn't seem to be grounded in facts. Companies can make charitable contributions.
    – Eric
    May 8 '18 at 23:15
  • There is utterly no connection, at all, to a "charitable contribution" here. The downvote is very confused.
    – Fattie
    May 9 '18 at 1:13
  • I didn't downvote and I'm not saying this gift is a charitable contribution. However you seem to imply companies cannot give gifts, but that is what a charitable contribution is.
    – Eric
    May 9 '18 at 1:15
  • @eric, "gifts" have utterly no connection, in any way, to "charitable contributions"
    – Fattie
    May 9 '18 at 18:05

This site is temporarily in read only mode and not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .