Is it possible to a use a 1031 exchange to go from a single family residential to duplex where one side is rented the other is lived in?

  • Your question seems to assume that you will be living in one side of the duplex. Is that correct? – Rich Lysakowski PhD Aug 21 at 3:18

Yes, but the 1031 can only apply to the rental side of the duplex, so half the duplex would have to cost as much (or more) as the sold property else you'd only get partial benefit and still face some capital gains tax and depreciation recapture.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.