https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf I am looking to start buying shares in US companies, through brokerage firm 212. I need to fill in the above form to do that. What do I need to put in for part 2 Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits? I've marked the blanks with ???

9 I certify that the beneficial owner is a resident of UNITED KINGDOM within the meaning of the income tax treaty between the United States and that country.

10 Special rates and conditions (if applicable—see instructions): The beneficial owner is claiming the provisions of Article and paragraph ??? of the treaty identified on line 9 above to claim a ??? % rate of withholding on (specify type of income): ???.

Explain the additional conditions in the Article and paragraph the beneficial owner meets to be eligible for the rate of withholding: ???

  • The IRS is pretty good about providing instructions for each of their forms. You may find this document useful.
    – CactusCake
    Apr 19, 2018 at 14:00

1 Answer 1


The answer appears to be NOTHING; in specific instructions under Line 10:

Line 10 must be used only if you are claiming treaty benefits that require that you meet conditions not covered by the representations you make on line 9 and Part III. For example, persons claiming treaty benefits on royalties must complete this line if the treaty contains different withholding rates for different types of royalties. However, this line should always be completed by foreign students and researchers claiming treaty benefits.

See Scholarship and fellowship grants, later, for more information. This line is generally not applicable to treaty benefits under an interest or dividends (other than dividends subject to a preferential rate based on ownership) article of a treaty.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .