I am new to contracting and would like some advice.
My situation is:
- I am a UK citizen and my home is in the UK.
- I am working in London for a UK based company.
- I currently work full time as a Software Developer.
- With the same company, I am planning on moving from permanent to contracting as I hope to gradually cut my days shorter from 5 days, to 4 then to 3.
- I will be working remotely in Portugal as my partner is there.
- I hope to become a resident and make my home there.
Now my questions are:
- What steps should I take to make this happen?
- What things should I consider? What should I be aware of? Is this even possible to do? Is it hard to do? - I keep running into unknown things. I thought working remotely abroad would be simple but there's a lot of hurdles to get through. For example, I just found out I need to pay taxes in two countries and to see whether my employer will and can pay taxes to abroad. So this is what I'm asking if there is anything I should be aware of?
- Taxes and tax returns, documentation where and how in portugal
- What does my employer need from me and the umbrella company to make this work?
- How does my company file taxes to Portugal? Is this hard for them to do?