I have two questions, I think the first will be simpler.

If buy an ADR stock in say Santander or Telefonica do I have pay Spanish capital gains on the stock and file a spanish tax return when I sell them, or do I just pay US capital gains?

Here is my real question. I am a US resident. I gained Santander CDI shares (listed on the London Stock Exchange) via Abbey National, which became a bank, which then got bought by Santander. The shares are held in my US trading account. I am planning on selling the shares but i have read some stuff about having to file a spanish 210 tax form. Do I have to do that? I am not a spanish resident and have never lived or worked in spain.

  • 1
    I see that you tagged the question “united-kingdom” but you said that you live in the U.S. Did you mean to tag the question “united-states”? – Ben Miller Apr 16 '18 at 2:05
  • Yes, the second question is about Santander Shares i got when Abbey Nation (UK bank) was bought by Sandarder, which are CDI shares listed on the London (United Kingdom) stock market – I Macdonald Apr 16 '18 at 2:51
  • I think I found my answer for selling my Santander CDI shares and turns out to be fairly simple. spanishtaxforms. The shares I own came from the Abbey National acquisition, the price that the Spain cares about is the price on the date I got my Santander shares which is €8.44, Santander is currently trading for €5.369 so I will have a loss from a spanish point of view so no need to file anything with the spanish authorities shareview – I Macdonald Apr 16 '18 at 3:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.