I am self employed in Ohio and on my husband's insurance. Is there an FSA type account that I can set up? We do not have a High Deductible medical plan so the MSA will not work for me either. I would like to set up something to apply toward orthodontia and haven't found anything that will allow it. Thanks!

1 Answer 1


There are four types of tax-advantaged medical expense arrangements described in IRS Publication 969:

  • Health savings accounts (HSAs).
  • Medical savings accounts (Archer MSAs and Medicare Advantage MSAs).
  • Health flexible spending arrangements (FSAs).
  • Health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs).

FSAs and HRAs are employer-sponsored plans only. They are not available to self-employed individuals.

HSAs and Archer MSAs require enrollment in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP).

To take advantage of one of these arrangements, you would either need to sign up through an employer (perhaps your husband’s employer, if offered) or you would have to change your health insurance plan to an HSA-eligible HDHP.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.