I live in US with income in Canada and have a large amount of unused tuition tax credits in Canada.

My understanding is that when doing US Tax I should report my full Canadian income and the amount of tax paid to Canada on that income.

The problem is if I use my tuition credit on my Canadian tax return, this will lower the amount of tax I have to pay to Canada for that year, but I will still have to report the same income on my US tax return.

This would then increase the amount of tax I have to pay in US while wasting those credit.

What is correct way to proceed to avoid wasting the tuition credit.

  • I am resident of US but not citizen, and know for a fact resident also have to pay income tax on world income but have Tax Treaties with Canada to avoid double taxation – skyde Apr 6 '18 at 23:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.