I have a foreign retirement income. Income tax is withheld at source in a foreign country. As I have to file form 1116 to get the FTC (foreign tax credit) I need to know if such retirement is a “passive category income” or a “general category income” as I have to fill the correct box on Form 1116.

  • I don't know if it helps, but Taxes for expats says that "Income derived from bonds, IRAs, rental properties, and stocks are considered passive types of income"
    – CalvT
    Apr 6, 2018 at 17:44
  • What type of 'retirement income' are you receiving, specifically? It may make a difference. Sep 5, 2018 at 14:07

1 Answer 1


retirement income is treated as passive income. In the US, "earned income" is the other side of passive income.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .