I, a Mexican citizen, was living in Portland last year and had a TN work visa, but decided to come back home. The company I was working for decided they wanted to keep working with me but as a freelancer. Since I already had a U.S. bank account, I am getting paid there. I am given the form 1099 to file my taxes.

  • Do you know what percentage of what I am earning needs to be paid to the IRS?

  • Am I allowed to do this, even if I'm not living in PDX anymore?

Not sure if my Social Security Number is still valid if I'm no longer a resident.


The issue is not that you are a remote foreign freelancer now, but that you actually lived in the U.S. in 2017.

Your income tax is for that period. If more was withheld then you are due a refund.

The IRS has rules for determining if you were a resident, part-time resident, or a non-resident for tax purposes, depending on how long you stayed. These rules are explained in the instructions booklets that come with the tax forms and here:


As to the current situation (remote work by a foreign national who is not a permanent resident), I don't believe you should be taxed by the U.S.:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.