I am a Green Card holder and work as a lecturer in a university at Massachusetts with income of about 15K. How can I prepare tax filings to minimize tax payments?

  • Was your income reported on a W-2 or 1099? Did you incur any expenses related to your lecturing that were not reimbursed?
    – Hart CO
    Mar 31, 2018 at 22:35
  • @HartCO Don't employee unreimbursed expenses come under the category of Miscellaneous Expenses subject to a 2% floor which entire category was eliminated by the recent Tax Cuts for the Rich and Wealthy Act of December 2017? Jun 26, 2018 at 15:38
  • @DilipSarwate That's why it matters how OP's income is reported.
    – Hart CO
    Jun 27, 2018 at 4:18

1 Answer 1


There doesn't seem to be anything unusual about your situation.

If you weren't a permanent resident, you could look into using tax treaties, but you are, and so you can't use them.

You must pay taxes just like the citizens.

You probably want to file 1040EZ and whatever state and local tax forms are appropriate.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .