Recent market volatility has me fretting about my taxable account.

I figure if I lock up my funds in some tax-efficient vehicle, then I won't even think about it, similar to my 401(k).

I'm wondering if I should make some sort of after-tax contribution to my 401(k), or if there's even better creativity available?

Thanks for your input.

  • Married? Kids? High deductible health plan? – mhoran_psprep Mar 30 '18 at 16:02
  • No, no, and no. Big-company-employed individual. Young. – pfinnigan Mar 30 '18 at 16:09
  • 1
    Can you increase your 401k contributions or are you maxed? – Ben.12 Mar 30 '18 at 19:31
  • 1
    How about municipal funds, tax efficient dividend etf, or just career enhancing education. – INGSOC Mar 30 '18 at 23:44
  • 2
    Some 401(k) plans allow non-Roth after-tax contributions up to 52K. You can later convert these to a Roth (google mega backdoor Roth). Worth checking. If you have self-employment income, then there is a lot more we can suggest. – farnsy Mar 31 '18 at 16:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.