I became a US resident (Green Card holder) in the summer of 2012, so the first tax return ever filed with the IRS was a dual status return for 2012.

I used to have a job in my country, that I quit before becoming a resident (in mid-April 2012), so when I filed that 2012 return, I never stated income from that foreign job because it was not connected to the USA in any way and it fell under the non-resident part of 2012 US tax return.

However, the foreign company I used to worked for had a yearly productivity bonus scheme in place, that was payed to employees in the year after it was accrued (since it was based on a some year-long analysis of employee's productivity). So in June 2013 they issued me a year 2012 bonus payment of around $750 (gross; I actually received the net since much like in the USA, employment-based income is subject to tax withholding by my country).

Then when I did my 2013 US taxes (this time as a regular full-year US resident) in winter 2014, I completely forgot about including that sum in my income.

I've applyed to become a US citizen, and I would like to have my US tax status fully compliant with law in case they ask me to prove that I did not receive income from outside the USA while being a US resident.

My question is: do I actually really need to state that $750 income in my US tax return, given that even if payed to me in 2013, it's effectively connected to the job in my country in the non US-resident portion of 2012?

If I indeed need to amend my return, can some confirm that I need to amend the 2013 one?

If I need to amend, can I use form 1116 to ask a credit for the 10% foreign taxes withheld?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.