I have some mutual funds in Canada from BMO. I am a non-resident of Canada. I am U.S.A resident. I recevied capital gains dividends.

Do I need to pay capital gains tax in Canada? Or just pay U.S.A.? Thanks.

  • For clarity, BMO is Bank of Montreal? Your money is in an account in Canada in Canadian dollars, or you bought a BMO mutual fund with a US account?
    – quid
    Mar 21, 2018 at 18:15
  • Or possibly a BMO ETF on an exchange?
    – brian
    Mar 21, 2018 at 18:38
  • I have a account in bank of Canada.
    – alex
    Mar 22, 2018 at 20:23

1 Answer 1


Likely not, unless the fund mostly holds Canadian real property (including real estate but also mining rights).

Per http://www.millerthomson.com/en/blog/carrying-on-business-in-canada-for-non/a-non-resident-disposing-of-taxable-canadian/:

Under the Canada – United States Income Tax Convention, assuming the limitation on benefits provision has been satisfied, a United States resident’s gain from the disposition of property is only taxable in the United States unless the property disposed of was ... a share of a corporation resident in Canada if the value of the corporation’s shares is more than 50% derived from real property situated in Canada

If taxes were withheld, or if you do have to pay Canada since it's a property fund, you should look at filing Form 1116 with your US taxes to get a Foreign Tax Credit.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.