I live in NY and I just started working remotely for a company in Virginia. I will not be moving to Virginia.

I've been contributing to my NY 529 plan since I can get a state tax deduction on it. Now that I work for a company in Virginia, not sure if this is possible anymore. I looked at Virginia's 529 plan and they also provide a state tax deduction. Which one should I be contributing to if I want to get a state tax deduction?

  • 1
    Your income is considered earned in NY. I'd continue to contribute to the NY 529 - you're not going to be owing any Virginia taxes. – ceejayoz Mar 14 '18 at 20:56

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.