I am a 1099'd telecommuter that used to live in California.
I moved to South Carolina in 2017.
I need to file 2017 taxes with 4 months in CA, 8 months in SC.
In 2018 I will need to file 12 months in SC.

Who do I pay state tax to for each of these years?

Thanks so much for your advice. I appreciate it very much!!!

  • when you moved to SC was it a permanent move? I am not sure where the difficulty is. Doesn't SC want to tax the income your earned over the last 8 months? – mhoran_psprep Mar 8 '18 at 11:23
  • Yes, SC is a permanent move. I got 1099's from CA - do I have to pay CA only for the months I worked there, and pay SC for the months I worked in LA by phone, from SC? Or do I pay all to SC? – ChiliGirl Mar 8 '18 at 17:18
  • it's simply where you live. – Fattie Mar 8 '18 at 21:52
  • Since I lived in CA for 4 months, do I only pay CA for the income earned when I lived there? Then pay SC for only the income earned in the 8 months I telecommuted to CA from SC? Thanks for your advice! – ChiliGirl Apr 13 '18 at 2:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.