Person A works for Company C.
Most employees of Company C are remote workers, including A.
Company C is in USA. Person A resides in Texas.

As A can work remotely from any state in US, A wants to lead the life of a tech nomad and travel between all 50 states.

In such a scenario, how will the taxes work?

Will A have to pay state income tax based on whichever state he is currently located in?

Will it be a pain for HR to deal with A's taxes?

Is there any easier way to deal with taxes? A is hell bent on travelling all the 50 states over the next 2-3 years.

  • 2
    What state is the company in?
    – Hart CO
    Feb 20 '18 at 5:37
  • Company C has main offices in Virginia
    – kRazzy R
    Feb 20 '18 at 14:09

That's going to depend on the non-resident tax laws of the state in which the company for which you are doing the work resides.

If you are an actual employee (you receive a W2) it seems like you're fairly likely to need to file a non-resident tax return. Regardless of whether or not you actually end up owing any taxes. This article has a little more information on the subject if you want to explore it some more.

Of course, in Texas, you will owe no state income tax regardless.

Oh, and most decently sized companies will be able to handle this situation with ease from an HR standpoint. It's a fairly common scenario.

  • thank you. and yes, person works as a fulltime W-2 employee.
    – kRazzy R
    Feb 20 '18 at 14:08
  • You generally have to maintain residence somewhere to keep you car registration and insurance active. There are companies who provide an address for this purpose for full-time RVers. Some friends did this and changed residence from California to Texas.
    – mkennedy
    Feb 20 '18 at 17:59
  • @mkennedy Interesting addition to the equation I hadn't addressed. Certainly worth researching that as well if "traveling all over the 50 states" means living in other states and not working primarily from Texas. I took the question to mean remaining a Texas resident, but traveling while working remotely for a company in another state.
    – Keith
    Feb 20 '18 at 19:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.