I have an aunt and uncle planning on visiting the US from China for a stay of 5 months (on a tourist visa with Chinese passport) and I'm wondering what insurance to get them. They're about 60 years old and in good health except for one exception -- my uncle got liver cancer about 1.5 years ago and had it treated surgically. Apparently they were able to remove all the cancer, and nothing has show up in his few regular checkup CT scans since then. They have health insurance back in China, but no travel insurance as of yet.

First of all, is there any insurance I can buy that would cover potential cancer treatment here if anything returns? (I'm guessing the answer is no)

Second, what sort of insurance should I be looking for (travel, something else?) to cover typical ailments and doctors visits while they're here?


  • 2
    This might be better asked on travel.SE. – RonJohn Feb 18 '18 at 15:21
  • It's a very difficult issue, my guess is "you are out of luck". – Fattie Feb 18 '18 at 15:31
  • It's called "visitors medical insurance" and you can indeed get coverage for "acute onset of pre-existing conditions" but, in general, not treatment for "pre-existing conditions". You need to contact a licensed insurance broker with your requirements and their health conditions to find an appropriate plan because the details of this vary by plan and are complicated. – user71659 Feb 18 '18 at 20:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.