This might be a silly question.

Let's say I change jobs and country of residence-always within the European Union-every 3 years, purchasing monthly the same ETF through a local broker on each country (A, B, C, and D). This goes on for 12 years, after which I decide to take a sabbatical, move to a different European country (E), and start selling shares of the ETF to cover my expenses.

All five countries have different capital gains taxes. Which tax legislation applies? Which capital gains tax rate is applicable to the shares I sell?

In case that the applicable tax legislation is that of the country from which the shares were purchased (i.e. A, B, C, or D): if I had those shares in some sort of tax wrapper accounts (like UK's ISAs, or France's PEAs), would I still benefit from them?

  • If you are truly a "P.T." Do you really want such an anchor, tying you to, uh, imperial issues? Create an entity for yourself in an appropriate jurisdiction (Dubai, Singapore, who knows) and send excess profits there. (ie,Ddo exactly what, say, Apple does. Why pay tax as you go along if you don't have to?)
    – Fattie
    Feb 18, 2018 at 16:09
  • I don't know what you mean or what a P.T. is. A "Part Timer"? Feb 18, 2018 at 20:48
  • Perpetual Traveller
    – Fattie
    Feb 19, 2018 at 0:33
  • No, not really. Feb 19, 2018 at 6:37


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .