I have recently filed 2017 taxes and received my refund. There, I'd some qualified excludable moving expenses under W-2 column 12d (code P). However, I had not submitted all of relocation expenses that I incurred during year 2017 due to the fact that most of receipt were for Dec-2017.

Towards the same, I will be getting additional reimbursement sometime next month. Given the new tax law eliminates "excludable moving expense", I will be now taxed for that remaining relocation reimbursement and it will be not be considered excludable.

I would like to know if I can amend 2017 tax form or request in 2018 taxes to consider remaining reimbursement I receive this month as tax-excludable given it was for year 2017 or there is no way to exclude it as I was paid in year 2018? Deduction is of little value as I take standard deduction!

  • See cross-posting and reply at ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6607586 – Samir Feb 14 '18 at 4:11
  • The moving expense deduction was above-the-line and thus available even if you don't itemize -- but for 2018-25 it is 'suspended' by JCTA along with the exclusion for reimbursement, plus you aren't incurring the expenses in 2018 anyway. – dave_thompson_085 Feb 15 '18 at 2:00
  • agree with respect to moving expenses made in 2018 and filing 2018 return. However, JCTA is in effect since Jan-1, 2018, effectively allowing deduction for eligible moving expenses (IRS p521) incurred during year 2017 (even with pending reimbursement from an employer) when filing 2017 return. – Samir Feb 15 '18 at 2:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.