I am trying to locate my old 401k from a company I left 7 years ago. I know they changed plan administrators, but the current administrator has no record of it. The company is not returning my calls. I have searched the PBGC unclaimed pensions as well as our state unclaimed property list. Any ideas?

  • 1
    Do you have an old account statement from the original administrator? Did you try calling them? They ought to know if and where your assets were transferred. Feb 9, 2018 at 0:22
  • @ChrisW.Rea I sure don't have documents from 7 years ago anymore...
    – RonJohn
    Feb 9, 2018 at 0:32
  • @RonJohn If I have an account with assets, I at least keep the last statement received, plus whatever documentation from having opened the account. In no world would I shred everything related to an asset account that hasn't been confirmed transferred out and closed. I suppose having an actual filing cabinet puts me in the minority? :-) Feb 9, 2018 at 1:16
  • 1
    @ChrisW.Rea having a filing cabinet is probably common. Regularly using it and keeping it organize for investments probably puts you in the minority.
    – RonJohn
    Feb 9, 2018 at 1:35
  • 1
    When you left the company how much money was in the 401K? It is possible that they forced you to move the money to an IRA or other 401K account, they do this with small accounts. Feb 9, 2018 at 12:06

1 Answer 1


Depending on how the change in plan administrators occurred and what happened to your particular account based on that transfer, the previous administrator might've tried to reach you at a place you could no longer be reached. In that case, in order for the prior plan administrator to free themselves of the responsibility of looking for you forever, they would've escheated the money to the state. There are services which will help you find any money in your name such as http://missingmoney.com/ and http://unclaimed.org/, but I have no personal experience with these sites. Each state should also have this information available, or available on reques. If the state has money in your name, it should be straightforward getting it back into your hands.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .