In 2017 I was finishing my Spring semester in college. I had an internship from January-April, which I filed under 1 address. Then From May-August I moved to DC but subleased so didn't have an official address, however for my new internship I was filed under the address I lived at in DC. In September, I moved back to North Carolina for a full-time job, of course under address #3. So now I have 3 different W-2s under different employers with 3 different addresses. Will this be a problem when doing my taxes for 2017?

  • 3
    Nope, just do your taxes. You will be fine. – Pete B. Feb 2 '18 at 15:39
  • 2
    Make sure the address you fill out on your 1040 is your current one. – Seth R Feb 2 '18 at 20:07
  • You should probably explain more about your internship in DC. They have so many non-residents that their rules differ from most states. – D Krueger Feb 3 '18 at 4:12

For the federal taxes, it is no problem at all.

For state taxes, just be aware that you probably had state tax withheld from multiple states. Look at your W-2’s closely to determine where all of your state taxes were sent. You may need to file a state tax return with more than one state.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 3
    ...and multiple cities, if you lived and/or worked in a city that levies income tax. – josh3736 Feb 2 '18 at 21:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.