I'm from the UK, working as a contractor for a US company, earning $30k+ annually, and I want to buy a house costing around $100k in a non-EU country. I need an investment visa to do this.

A mortgage for the house is not an option. I have considered this, and (a) the interest rates are very high in that country; and (b) without foreign investment I can't get an investment visa, which is a pretty important part for me.

How might I be able to get a personal loan of around $100k? Am I better off trying to get a business loan?

What other loan types might meet my need?

  • What are the investment visa requirements for the destination country?
    – Freiheit
    Commented Jan 31, 2018 at 15:08
  • 2
    Ad $30k is only Just over £21k which is absurdly low for an IT contractor id find a better paying job first. Commented Jan 31, 2018 at 20:59

1 Answer 1


It can be very difficult, but not impossible. It will depend on :

  • your working contract (fixed or permanent?).
  • your bank policy (there is huge difference between banks).
  • you relation with your bank ( for new comer the bank is likely to refuse but if you are a good client in the bank and knows the manager, they might accept).
  • your marriage status
  • down payment you can afford (% of the final price)

Go to ask several bank, they all have different policies. If all the banks refuse, you can go to less conventional financing such as private ( family, friend,) or peer to peer lending.

But with 30K of salary in the UK, you need to pay all our expense (including rent) and you want to buy a house somewhere else? How much do you think you can pay every month to reinbouse the loan?

  • 1
    Good answer - the only thing it is possibly missing is a discussion of why this is more difficult given that the OP does not want a mortgage [the bank won't have collateral on the house, and therefore risk is higher]. Commented Jan 30, 2018 at 14:27
  • the op says a contractor so its a temp /short term contract Commented Jan 31, 2018 at 21:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .