My wife is a US Citizen. She borrowed money from a friend to pay for her college.

She is unable to repay on time. She needs a bit more time, but unfortunately the lender is not ready to wait. He wants to file a complaint. Can you explain me the laws of US and can this affect her career in future?

  • 3
    This doesn't answer your question, but you might consider asking the lender to visit a mediator to try to reach an agreement. That could be much less expensive than dealing with it in court. Having a disinterested third-party may help both of you see the others' point of view and come to a deal. – NL - Apologize to Monica Jan 23 '18 at 16:31

Depending on the amount and what state you live in, the "complaint" (aka lawsuit) would be filed in Civil Court or Small Claims Court.

Explaining the laws would really require Law.StackExchange.

The affect on her future of a lost lawsuit -- and therefore judgment against her for the money -- would be that companies which do a background check will see it and possibly not want to hire her (deeming her unreliable). If the background check doesn't look for financial judgments, it won't have an impact on her career.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.