I know it's possible to make a one-time rollover from an IRA to an HSA (i.e., up to the amount allowed by the HSA).

It's possible I already did this about 10 years ago. The paperwork I have on hand is insufficient to determine this for sure. Specifically, I have (a) only a slimmed-down tax history, (b) a monthly statement and a 5498 from the HSA trustee that contradict each other, and (c) no records from bank accounts.

Further, I no longer bank with the original IRA trustee, and the HSA trustee (who I do still bank with) insists their records do not go back that far.

Consequently, the final authority will be the IRS records.

So what--in addition to my 1040 and 5498 history--do I need to request? For example, is there a "receipts" history between my IRA trustee and HSA trustee that the IRS keeps and can provide me?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.