For a while I've been working and living in USA (and paying taxes of course) as a L1 visa holder. In February 2017 - I've left the job (so L1-based work permission is invalidated), left the country after I've declared my taxes for 2016.

My question would be - should I somehow file my tax declaration again, basically for January'17 and literally for a couple of days in February?

  • 1
    I'm pretty sure you would ...... get all the money back, right? So probably yeah!
    – Fattie
    Jan 4 '18 at 16:17

There is no such thing as a tax declaration in US tax law; the declaration is part of the tax return which you need to file for the income that you earned in January and February of 2017 -- this income tax return for 2017 is due by mid-April 2018. It might be that you are not required to file the income tax return at all if your income is small enough, though I am not sure if this rule applies to non-residents on L-1 visas. But, given that you worked for only thirty days, you may well be entitled to a refund of withheld income tax because too much was withheld, and you must file a tax return to claim the refund even though you are not required to file a tax return on the grounds of low income; you don't automatically get a refund of over-withheld tax.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.