I am a non US citizen and it's bean a while that I have subscribed to compeete on an artificial inteligence competition, however when I was reading the wiki I found that to claim the price a non Us tax payer have to fill a Form W-8BEN,

However in this form they were asking to fill an SSN or ITIN also a foreign tax identifier.

Is it required to fill those two identifiers? if so how can a non US citizen to get those identifiers? is there any specific procedure to do that?

  • You don’t have to get ITIN to fill a W8-BEN. I never had problems at leaving the 8. field blank. – user2284570 Jan 5 '19 at 21:34

The official guidance is here: US Governent web site.

If you don't have a US tax payer number, then leave box 5 blank. If your government issues an equivalent tax payer number, then put that in box 6 instead.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.