We recently bought a house in Nebraska, USA. I am British and this was my first experience of the US home buying process (and I hope my last!). I am hoping for some guidance as to whether either the surveyor or the seller are liable for issues we have found after the purchase.
The survey found very few issues with the house, which was built in the 1960s. Really only a few advisories like "clean the chimney regularly".
We tried to light a fire this weekend and ended up with a house full of smoke. The chimney sweep has arrived today and discovered that none of the 3 chimneys are safe to use (2 fireplaces and one furnace). He suggests the easiest and cheapest way to make them safe is to drop a stainless steel liner down at a cost of $3,000 per chimney (plus labour).
To make matters more difficult the seller was our realtor, so it isn't really possible to ask to speak with him in his realtor capacity about the seller...
Do we have any recourse here, or is it something that we have to cover ourselves, or maybe possible to claim off the insurance?