- Our lease goes from 1/31/17 to 1/31/18.
- We're closing on a new home next week and don't want anything to do with our current rental (private landlord) as soon after the end of the month as possible.
- I understand that by signing the lease I am 100% legally and ethically obligated to pay all remaining rent payments. At this point that would be Dec 1 and Jan 1 rent payments.
- There is no early termination clause (such as forfeit security deposit, etc).
We let the landlords know our situation and asked if they would be willing to show and try to find new tenants starting Dec 1 and that we would pay rent right up until the day the new tenants take over the lease (even if it's mid Jan). They said they would need us to find new tenants for that to work. As tenants we don't have the same abilities to find other tentants as the landlord, so we'll probably pass on this.
- As a gut check, is my offer reasonable?
- There are no stipulations in the contract, but could I pay all Dec 1 and Jan 1 rent immediately and be release from the lease early without "breaking" it? This would save us utility bills even though the place is vacant. Having fulfilled our financial obligations by the lease (paying all 12 months) could they refuse to take the keys?
- Would I be entitled to any refund if they find tenants before Jan 31st, 2018? I know there are some laws about landlord double-dipping on rent payments.
- If we decide to try to find tenants... any suggestions? Hard to do listings or purchase tenant-finding services when you're not the home-owner...
- Are there any other options that I'm missing? We just want to be out with minimal cost but also be fair to the landlord.
Thank you for your time!