I am a U.S. citizen living in Germany and would like to sell some movable property at a higher price than I bought it for. I held it for longer than a year, so I am not subject to German taxation. U.S. taxes for the same situation are 15% capital gains.

The U.S.-German tax treaty Article 13 paragraph 5 says:

Gains from the alienation of any property other than that referred to in the preceding paragraphs shall be taxable only in the Contracting State of which the alienator is a resident.

Which applies to me? Do I have to pay the 15% capital gains tax to the U.S. because I am a citizen, or do I pay nothing because of the treaty?


My understanding (not tax advice) is that you have to pay the US tax, since Article 13 paragraph 5 does not apply for US Citizens.

In fact the U.S.-German tax treaty states in Article 1, paragraph 4a that the treaty basically does not apply to US Citizens at all:

Except to the extent provided in paragraph 5, this Convention shall not affect the taxation by the United States of its residents (as determined under Article 4 (Residence)) and its citizens.

The only exceptions are listed under paragraph 5, but Article 13 paragraph 5 (movable property gains) is not one of these exceptions.

Dual language latest version of the tax treaty: latest version from http://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Content/DE/Standardartikel/Themen/Steuern/Internationales_Steuerrecht/Staatenbezogene_Informationen/Laender_A_Z/Verein_Staaten/2008-06-23-USA-Abkommen-DBA-Bekanntmachung.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=3 )

If anyone has additional information regarding this particular tax situation, please add a comment.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.