My ex and I bought a car a couple of years ago and we have not been together now for over a year and half.

I have the car and I make all the payments and now that I want to refinance and buy another car, I can't because he is still on the loan.

We have no contact with each other—it was an abusive relationship. I want to know if there is anything that I can do to get his name off the loan?

I also live in Oregon now and I think he is still in California, but we have no contact. Please help.

Thank you.

  • 9
    Is his name also on the title?
    – RonJohn
    Commented Nov 1, 2017 at 16:39
  • yes his name is also on the title. I can not find him to sign anything over and the company we got the car from says they can't do anything with out his signature as well. i want to trade the car in and get a newer car. all my payments are up to date ect but without his signature they will not let me do anything. I have been married now also for a year and we can not locate my ex so we are stuck Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 17:48
  • 1
    That's a bummer. You'll definitely need to talk to a lawyer. Fortunately, there's Law.StackExchange.com... :)
    – RonJohn
    Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 18:06

1 Answer 1


The bank should allow you to refinance the car and get a new loan in your name only. I cannot think of a reason why you could not pay off the existing loan completely just because his name is also on the loan.

If his name is on the title as well, then it gets tougher. If you can/don;t want to contact him to get a title release signed, then you'll probably have to file a lawsuit. I would see if there's a local attorney that would handle this pro-bono or for a small fee.

  • if i file a lawn suit i have no idea how to go about doing that. do i have to do it in the state of Calif? or can if be done in Oregon? Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 17:50
  • Actually, I would first go to the tag office (or wherever you go in Oregon to register the title) and see if they can help - I bet they've dealt with the situation before. If they can't, I would talk to a local (Oregon) attorney.
    – D Stanley
    Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 18:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .