I have a UK savings account with Investec Bank in the UK which is currently holding 2 Millions. I want to transfer that money to my US savings account but the bank said I needed to pay/send them 10,000 first so that I can receive a TAX CODE immediately so that the funds can be released. What is this Tax Code for and what does the country use it for.

The bank told me the following:

In united kingdom Government constitution of 1954, section 4.11. It say Tax is a composary levy impose by the government to the citizen and Tax payee is also used for the development of the country. Your transfer was stop by the United Kingdom Tax Board Authorities because you have not paid your Tax Fee.

Please advise if this is true since I live in the States and don't know UK laws/regulations.

  • 13
    That is a scam. Do you really believe you have 2 Million that you don't know how to get clear access to? Where did this money come from? A rich uncle? A Nigerian Prince? – abelenky Oct 10 '17 at 18:52
  • 3
    You don't need to know many UK laws/regulations. A quick google search will give a strong indication there is no "constitution of 1954" of the United Kingdom. Quoting a non-existent document is a bit of a red flag. – user4556274 Oct 10 '17 at 20:05
  • 5
    You can tell the quote is fake as soon as the second word. – TTT Oct 10 '17 at 22:47
  • 4
    The 3rd, 11th, 15th and 21st words are also a bit of a giveaway that the quote doesn't come from a British bank. – DJClayworth Nov 5 '18 at 21:29

This is an advanced fee scam you do not have any money in a foreign account nor will paying any taxes or fees get that money.

A clue is that the Constitution of the United Kingdom has no mention of taxes and is also not organized into sections in a manner like "4.11".

If you really want to confirm this. You should be able to contact the UK branch of Investec Bank. They would be able to confirm the means that they would use to contact individuals with account issues.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.